Monday, October 27, 2008

Fun firsts make great memories

This past weekend was a weekend of firsts for me.
My first “first” was attending a concert at the Phenix City Amphitheater. The Citizen of East Alabama and Cable TV of East Alabama sponsored Gary Puckett and the Letterman concert Friday night. I am ashamed to say it was the first concert of the Summer Concert Series I attended. I wish there were more this year, because it certainly wouldn’t be my last.
I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout and the entertainment was fantastic. We marketed the concert as an evening of romance, and then some of us brought our kids. If our kids ruined anyone’s romantic evening by screaming and running up and down the amphitheater, I apologize.
My second “first” was my daughter, Lani, had her first little friend spend the night with her. Her cousins have spent the night but this was the first time it was someone outside the family. For McKinnon, Craig and Jennifer Howard’s daughter, it was her first time spending the night away from home with a friend as well. I don’t think any of us parents really thought we’d make it through the night without us taking her home or them coming to get her, but we made it. They slept like little angels.
Saturday morning we had plans to go to Marengo Creek Farm with some of our friends and their kids. This adventure held yet another first for me.
When we got to the farm, the kids made a beeline to these huge blue pools that were slam full of dried corn kernels. There were only two rules 1. Don’t throw corn, and 2. Don’t stick your head in the corn.
After a few minutes of the kids playing, the moms realized that there was no rule three that said, 3. No adults in the corn. The next thing I knew I was playing in the corn tub with my daughter, her friends and two other moms. Before long there were two dads in the corn. My husband wasn’t one of them -- he remained mature and corn-free.
We played in the corn for a while and laughed like we hadn’t laughed in a long time. It was just like being one of the kids. It wasn’t long until we -- the adults in the corn -- realized we were the only ones in the corn pool. I guess we embarrassed our kids and they got out and got in the neighboring corn pool, supervised by my mature husband.
When we finally got out of the corn, we had to regain our land legs before moving on to another event. We watched a border collie herd sheep, went through a hay maze, went on a hayride, went to the pumpkin patch, petted farm animals, took one more dip in the corn pools and ate lunch, which included a cored apple covered in warm caramel and peanuts.
I was really impressed with Marengo Creek Farms. When we planned the trip, I expected we’d stay for about an hour and be on our way, but we were there for more than four hours and could have stayed all day.
We spent another 30 minutes cleaning corn out of socks, shoes, hair and the kids’ britches. They wanted to save all of the corn and take it home.
If you’re looking for someplace to take your family that’s relatively close to home, I highly recommend Marengo Creek Farms. It was an awesome experience for the whole family. Be sure to take your camera for some fantastic photo opportunities.
For our ext adventure, we’re planning a trip to Pope’s Haunted Farm, which should be interesting for a bunch of scaredy-cats. I think we should leave the kids with their grandparents.
Pope’s Haunted Farm will be another first -- if we don’t chicken out!

No comments:

Post a Comment