Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm a classic

My husband and I were driving to Auburn Saturday to pick up some home improvement items, when we passed a convertible Thunderbird with the promotional magnets "100.3 the Classics" stuck all over the car. My husband suggested that I see if the station was local since I am a huge music lover, so I did.
I expected to hear something from the 60s or early 70s that I had listened to with my mom and dad. To my chagrin, I heard a song by Tears for Fears from the 80s. I was in such shock I can't even recall the name of the song, but I guarantee that I knew every single word of it.
What is up with that? How can songs from my high school years be on a classics station? That is insane!
Aging has never been a real issue with me. I have stuck with the mantra that you are only as old as you feel, blah, blah, blah. But now that I think about it, somedays I do feel like a classic and well, on other days I feel like an oldie too. I always said that when I heard the music of my youth on an oldies station that I would have officially crossed the realm into adulthood. It was almost something I looked forward to, but now, I just want to go back. Back to being a carefree child, whose biggest concern of the day is what shoes she is going to wear to see High School Musical 3 with her BFF.
I shared my experience with my cousin who I grew up with later in the day. He is also my number one fan of my newspaper columns (I told him I would mention that!). We are only nine months apart and were inseparable as children. One of my fav childhood memories is sining "Take it to the limit" by The Eagles with him although we sang "take it to the diggit." Don't ask; we don't know.
He too reeled at the fact that our music, the music that defined our generation, is now considered as classic. That probably means that our music is the music that fills the discount/bargin bins at music shops. Not only that, but some punk kid that stocks the shelves will probably come across an over-looked case of Duran Duran or Poison cassettes and rush to his supervisor claiming to have found a time capsule from the dark ages.
Now I have to wonder if kids today even know what a cassette is, and are cassettes as foreign to them as eight tracks or vinyl is to my generation. Crazy thing this getting older has become to me. Something you once longed for is now lurking in your next birthday that is right around the corner.
That's enough time wasted on this subject. I've already realized that time is precious and you'll be a classic before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment